Friday 30 January 2015

5 on a Friday: 5 things I love about my job.


*Quick note before I start, there may be a few things that don't look quite right or keep changing on my blog eg my signature is appearing after mys subscription box. I am fiddling around a bit with some blog elements which I haven't quite perfected, so please bare  with. Oh and may be you fancy you fancy subscribing by email?*


Ok, so what shall I share with you on this fine Friday. It's a fine Friday because it is Friday and it's been a trying week and I'm sooooooooooooooo loooking forward to the weekend! What's even better is that I finish at 1pm! Oh yeah, that's right, well as long as nothing goes wrong and I finish work on time. Now that's just given me and idea, although it's stressful and things drive me mad at times, when alls said and done, I love my job, so I'm going to share 5 things with you that I love about it.


A little background to my career first.

All the way back in 1998 I qualified as nurse and embarked on a journey and a half. Wow, I was a spring chicken then, 21. Bless, it certainly makes you grow up (well in some ways), the responsibility, the things you see and experiences. It's quite amazing, thinking back on it all. I started off in Cardiac nursing and at one point looked after patients pre and post heart transplantation. Those memories feel like they were from another life time now. During my time in the hospitals I worked throughout the cardiac unit but after 8 years I left for pastures new and started on the next leg of my career. I have been working as a practice nurse in a GP surgery for the past 8 and a half years. My job involves all the day to day, bread and butter duties you may expect a nurse to do in your GP surgery such as cervical smears, children's and adult immunisations, wound care and ear irrigation. What I also do is managed chronic disease patients such as those with asthma, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease and diabetes and well, anything else in between, the job description is a pretty hefty list. The most recent string to my bow is becoming a nurse prescriber.

So what do I love about it?

1. I enjoy being able to help people, it's extremely satisfying. This help can be in many different forms. Something small you do can mean something huge to a patient, just listening to them sometimes when they need to have a moan or talk about their worries. It's so satisfying when you have a patient with diabetes for example, their newly diagnosed and badly controlled and with your guidance and support you are able to control their condition and improve their health, (there is another side to that, but were talking about things I love not things that drive me insane).

2. Working in the same job for so long means you build relationships with your patients, you get to know them well. I've got some regular patients that have been seeing me regular for the conditions for the pat 7 years, that's a long time.

3. I have mentioned this before but I love the girls that I work with, the other nurses. They are not just colleagues they are friends. That's quite a bonus at work.

4. I get fed up of it but I enjoy learning and my job has given me plenty of opportunity for that.The past 2 years I've gone from one course to another so I I've told my manager I'm having a break this year from any major courses but I'm sure as the year progresses an opportunity will arise or something will tempt me. We shall see.

5. This got to be in my 5. And yes I know I've already mentioned this fact but I'm saying it again, I finish work at 1PM! 1 PM on a Friday and at the moment no weekends. I love that. I will point out that I have done my fair share of unsocial hours which is why I wisely chose a job that doesn't include nights or weekends now.



Do you love your job? If so what do you love about it?

Thanks for stopping by

3 comments:

  1. It's always good to find someone who lives their job. I don't work now but I did enjoy my job in the GP surgery as a receptionist although at times it could be very trying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Being a receptionist especially in a GP surgery can definitely be trying. I bet you would make a nice receptionist :o)

      Delete
    2. Lol! I was very nice! Not having much luck with the one in this new GP surgery,she keeps messing up my scripts resulting in me making multiple trips,I'm not happy.

      Delete

❀Thanks for stopping by, I always love to here what you have to say. I like to reply to your comments and especially love it when you're NOT a "noreplyblogger" so I can email my reply to you! If you like what you read have a peek to your right for ways you can follow me and my blog❀

Total Pageviews