Saturday 13 December 2014

Felt advent calendar



This year I finally got round to making an advent calendar. BUT note to self don't leave making things such as advent calendars to the last minute i.e the 29th November!


It was all a bit of a rush job but I love how it turned out.

Now as it was all a big rush I didn't have time to take lots of pictures as I was making it but I shall explain all and it's super easy.

All I used was red felt, some pre-cut felt snowflakes, green ric rac, red ric rac and pegs.

I cut out 24 squares measuring 3 and half inches by 3 and a half inches. I chose this size out of ease as I have a 3.5 inch grid ruler.

Next I cut along 3 sides of the squares using my fabulous new scalloped edge scissors. These scissors are excellent and I have lots more plans for these babies.
Cloud Craft Shop on Etsy

After I cut along the 3 edges, I stitched along each scalloped edge leaving the straight edge open, back stitching at the start and end. I placed the edge of the scallop at the edge of the presser foot to get my seam.


Once everything was stitched I stuck on the snowflakes using fabric glue. I had to make a present out of white felt and red ric rac for day 24 because I managed to tear one of the snowflakes.


After sticking on the snowflakes I made 2 incisions through both layers of felt and threaded through the green ric rac.


These very cute pegs are from Tiger Stores, which is one of my favourite shops. I wrote the numbers on with a black sharpie amd now they make perfect advent pegs.

Lastly for the finishing touch I stuck on some cute mushrooms which again were from Tiger Stores to the end of each piece of ric rac.


My next plan is to make some cute Santa napkin rings. Have you been making anything for Christmas? I'd love to hear all about it

Linking up with these parties:
Making the world cuter
Handmade Monday @ Handmade Harbour

Thanks for stopping by, let me know about your Christmas makes in comments.

 

12 comments:

  1. Your calendar is fabulous, Kate. Where do you get your ideas from? I remember my mum having a pair of those scissors - she called them pinking shears, for some reason.x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Suzie, I'm really pleased how it turned out xx

      Delete
  2. This is the cutest advent calendar. I will have to file this idea away for next year and make one for my little grandson. Have a great week ahead :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It's really easy to do, just don't leave it last minute like me! My friend wants me to make her daughter one for next year. Thanks for stopping by and have a great weex :)

      Delete
  3. Lovely Kate! Great idea. I have made a merry Christmas felt padded banner and Im very pleased with it. I'm going to take sewing classes in Jan and get a sewing machine.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cute calender. I like Tiger too, especially as it has a small range of interesting wool too. Hard not to come out without a ball or two.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Tiger is the best isn't it. Thx for stopping by :)

      Delete
  5. so cute and a brill idea- thanks for sharing! x

    ReplyDelete
  6. A lovely advent calendar. I love the little pockets. Thanks for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love it, so cute! I love working with felt. I love the edging you've created x

    ReplyDelete

❀Thanks for stopping by, I always love to here what you have to say. I like to reply to your comments and especially love it when you're NOT a "noreplyblogger" so I can email my reply to you! If you like what you read have a peek to your right for ways you can follow me and my blog❀

Total Pageviews